1. What is sap BW on HANA?
SAP BW on HANA is nothing but SAP’s existing NetWeaver BW data warehouse, running on SAP HANA. SAP now supports SAP HANA as the underlying database for the NetWeaver BW Data Warehouse. Because SAP HANA is much faster than regular relational databases like Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server, the data warehouse performs much faster.
The purpose of SAP BW on HANA is to combine the power of both
2. What are the benefits of Sap BW on HANA?
Customer value of SAP BW on HANA:
- Excellent query performance for improved decision making
- Performance boost for Data Load processes for decreased data latency
- Accelerated In-Memory planning capabilities for faster planning scenarios
- Flexible – combine EDW with HANA-native data for real-time insights and decision making
- Data persistency layers are cut off and reduced administration efforts
- Simplified data modeling and remodeling
· Faster decision-making – Having the right information when you need it In today’s business world, fast access and manipulation is required on top of massive data stores. This is beyond the capabilities of traditional disk-based systems. Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO):· When you take into account the cost of hardware, software licenses, maintenance, performance tuning and project development, SAP BW is always cheaper in terms of TCO when running on HANA. Simplified configuration and operational management:
· Non-disruptive innovation and advanced administrative tools. · The current business processes inside BW can stay as they are and will mesh perfectly with HANA. System operation stays as it is, and process chains do not need to be remodeled.
3. What is native hana modeling in sap BW on HANA?
HANA Modeling is done on the top of tables available in Catalog tab under Schema in HANA Studio and all views are saved under the Content table under Package.You can create a new Package under the Content tab in HANA Studio using right-click on Content and New. All Modeling Views created inside one package comes under the same package in HANA Studio and is categorized according to the View Type.
4. What are the transaction codes used in SAP BW on HANA?
Following are the key transaction codes to be used in BW on HANA system.· RSA1 − To open BW workbench· RSMIGRHANADB − To convert in-memory optimized BW· SM59 − To configure RFC connection for SLT· Ltr − To configure Trusted RFC· RSPCM − To monitor periodic process chains· RSPC − To view the log for runs of a process chain· RSLIMO − BW Lean Modeler Test UI
5. What is migration to SAP BW on HANA?
The migration to SAP BW on HANA is quite simple and requires no additional modeling or adaptation of existing information assets. BW is the first SAP application to be re-architected and rewritten to take full advantage of the enhanced capabilities of HANA. Processing that would traditionally be done at the application (ABAP) layer is pushed down into the database where it can be optimally executed with the various calculation and aggregation engines.
6. What do we need to do after migration to SAP HANA?
Remove SAP BW aggregates (they’re only overheads in SAP HANA and this is done automatically for you).
Convert your SAP BW cubes and DSOs to SAP HANA cubes and DSOs (a simple process that improves performance and reduces space).
7. Do we need to rewrite all the code and stuff after SAP BW migration to HANA?
Absolutely not! All your models will run just like they did before. There are definitely instances where you may choose to optimize your models to run better on SAP HANA but this is not a requirement.
8. What are the migration tools in sap BW on HANA?
Software Provisioning Manager:
Software Provisioning Manager allows you to perform various provision tasks and covers a broad range of platforms with different productions. Software Provisioning Manager can be used to set up a standalone engine, for migration of systems, or to copy a NetWeaver system.
SAP BW Migration Cockpit for SAP HANA:
This tool is used to get an easy access to the most used and useful tools for migrating your SAP BW systems to and optimizing it for SAP HANA.The SAP BW Migration Cockpit for SAP HANA combines several tools to make the migration of an existing SAP BW deployment to the SAP HANA platform smooth and easy to perform.
9. What is infocube in sap BW on HANA?
A Basic InfoCube is a type of InfoCube that physically stores data. It is filled with data using BW Staging. Afterwards, it can be used as an InfoProvider in BEx Reporting. Infocubes are the central objects on which reports and analysis are based in SAP BW. … They are stored in master data tables.
10. What is infoprovider in sap BW on HANA?
InfoProviders are BW objects that data is loaded into or which display views of data. You analyze this data in BEx queries. There are InfoProvider types in which the data is stored physically and InfoProvider types that are only views on the data. In BEx Query Designer, they are seen as uniform objects however.
11. What is SAP HANA Modeler option?
SAP HANA Modeler is used to create information views on the top of schemas → tables in HANA database. These views are consumed by JAVA/HTML based applications or SAP Applications such as SAP Lumira, Office Analysis, or third party software like MS Excel for reporting purposes to meet business logic and to perform analysis and extract information.
12. What are the components needed to install BW modeling tools?
Install BW modeling tools, you need the following components −· Operating System Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Apple Mac OS X 10.8 or higher, or Linux distribution.· Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher or Firefox 4.0 or higher has to be installed.· SAP GUI for Windows 7.3 or SAP GUI for Windows 7.4 has to be installed on your local drive. You can download this from SAP Marketplace.· To communicate with the backend system, you need Microsoft Runtime DLLs VS2010 (for Windows OS) is installed on your local system.· SAP HANA Studio (32-Bit or 64-Bit for Windows) SP08 or higher.
13. What is hana optimized infocubes in sap BW on HANA?
When you use SAP BW on HANA, you can create your existing InfoCubes to HANA Optimized InfoCubes. When InfoCubes are moved to HANA database, they become column-based tables and act like BWA Indexed InfoCubes.When SAP HANA optimized InfoCubes are used, characteristics and key figures are assigned to dimensions. To improve the system performance, Surrogate IDs (SIDs) are used in fact tables.When you convert standard InfoCubes to HANA optimized InfoCubes, the layout changes at the time of conversion and it has to be adjusted manually.To view InfoCubes in the BW system, you can use Transaction: LISTSCHEMA
14. What is composite provider in sap BW on HANA?
Composite Providers are used to combine multiple InfoProviders using Join or Union operations. When you use SAP BW on HANA, one of the InfoProvider should use in-memory database and the data in composite providers can be used for reporting and analysis.When you use SAP BW with non-HANA database, then BWA is a prerequisite to create Composite Providers. The primary advantage of Composite Providers is that you can create new complex business scenarios by combining InfoProviders using Join operation.You can create Composite Providers in Administration workbench using Transaction: RSLIMOBW
15. What are the object and package privileges to access SAP HANA views that are generated from SAP BW?·
Object privilege − SELECT on _SYS_BI· Object privilege − EXECUTE on REPOSITORY_REST(SYS)· Package privilege − REPO.READ on the content package where generated SAP HANA views are stored.
16. What is the DIM ID?
DIM ID: are used to connect fact tables and dimension tables
17. What is an info source?
A structure consisting of InfoObjects without persistence for connecting two transformations
18. What is an info object?
InfoObjects are known as the smallest unit in SAP BI and are used in InfoProviders, DSOs, Multi providers, etc. Each InfoProvider contains multiple InfoObjects.InfoObjects are used in reports to analyze the data stored and to provide information to decision makers. InfoObjects can be categorized into the following categories −· Characteristics like customer, product, etc.· Units like quantity sold, currency, etc.· Key figures like total revenue, profit, etc.· Time characteristics like year, quarter, etc.
19. What is info area?
Info Area in SAP BI is used to group similar types of objects together. InfoArea is used to manage InfoCubes and InfoObjects. Each InfoObject resides in an InfoArea and you can define it in a folder which is used to hold similar files together.
20. What is advanced DSOs in sap BW on HANA?
Using HANA optimized objects, you can achieve better performance for analytical reporting and data analysis. DSOs of SAP BW are automatically optimized for activation in SAP HANA database. When you migrate SAP BW on HANA, all standard DSOs are moved to SAP HANA database in a column storage.To use advanced DSOs, you should have SAP HANA database support pack 08 or higher version and in the backend you should have SAP BW 7.4 SPS9.
21. What is the time distribution option in update rule?
This is to distribute data according to time; for example if the source contains calendar week and the target contains calendar day, the data is spit for each calendar day. Here you can select either the normal calendar or the factory calendar.
22. Can you partition a cube which has data already?
No; the cube must be empty to do this; one work around is to make a copy of the cube A to cube B; export data from A to B using export data source; empty cube A; create partition on A; re-import data from B; delete cube B